Kurosawa - 30 in 30

Kurosawa 30 in 30 - Plus Bonus Supercut

It has been a long time since I had much to talk about in regards to any personal creative efforts. I've got all the amateur excuses lined up. But that's a topic for another day, and rest assured, I have been writing again.


BUT today is about Akira Kurosawa. To most film fans and filmmakers he is a a familiar name. I'm not here to argue if he's the best or if Ozu's better (they were friends so I'm not sure they would have cared for the argument) because how can we really determine that. I simply wanted to make a super cut that paid a little tribute to a filmmaker who has a significant impact on me. That's it. I admire him and his very frequent collaborators (both cast and crew!) a great deal and this was a fun way to show them off.








I highly recommend his autobiography, Something Like an Autobiography and Waiting on the Weather: Making Movies With Akira Kurosawa by Teruyo Nogami. The second book is equal parts tender and powerful and gives you a really unique look at the man from someone who worked closely by his side from Rashomon in 1950 up to his final film, Madadayo in 1993.

Fun Fact: the autobiography takes up through the making of Rashomon and Waiting on the Weather starts after that so they compliment each other nicely.


This video is also a big, warm internet hug to all of the other supercut editors and essayists who have been creating the kinds of work that make us all better filmmakers and remind us what we love about cinema so much. To mention a few:

Jacob T Swinney
Must See Films
Every Frame a Painting
CLS Videos
Kogonada
Joel Walden
Nicholas Dobbie
Channel Criswell
Rishi Kaneria
and the very enjoyable Mr Sunday

One more quick shout out to my friend Josh Fleetwood and to the nifty site, Kurosawamovies.com

Thanks for stopping by and until next time, abayo.





Popular posts from this blog

"Cap. On your left."

I made a second Kurosawa tribute video